View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi prairiemary,

So very sorry to hear about your dental situation. It is a shame that you once had nice teeth and now the side effects of the meds you take have contributed to tooth loss.

I wanted to clarify something you said........ the tastebuds are not on the palate (roof of the mouth). They are on the tongue. So even if you wear a full upper denture, you can still taste your food. It may taste differently because the acrylic denture material can affect the taste of food.

The cost of dental implants in the US varies. The general cost is between $1500 and $2000 per actual titanium dental implant. Then the general cost per implant crown is between $1800 and $2500.

There are mini implants called Imtek implants. These are small but can be used to retain dentures or partial dentures in many people. They cost considerably less than the larger implants because there is less work to put them in.

Thanks for sharing your story here.......perhaps someone else will have some additional information to share with you...... all the best to you!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiemary View Post
Wow,I just found this site, what a treasure, a place with others like me! After 11 years of dry mouth from meds for nerve pain, I had to get all but the bottom 6 removed, the dentist was hoping the rest would last another 5 years, but now just 3 years later, they also have to go.He had left the 6 so the bottom denture would have some place to hook on to, so now I will likely need a new denture for the bottom. I grew up with strong, straight, beautiful white teeth, they used to light up at the school dances in high school, where there would always be a black light on, the kids would point at my glowing teeth and laugh! So to lose them has been difficult, I do not enjoy food much anymore, as the top dentures cover up the taste buds, and they are not as sharp as real teeth, unless I just have a really poorly made set.I have strengthened my gums enough that I can usually eat most food with the dentures out, I only wear them when I am not alone, I just hate them! I saw a new dental procedure being advertised here as new, it is the dental implants, that all of you must be talking about. So I looked them up, to find out how much money I was looking at, and they cost more than the mortgage on my house!!Even with their payment plan, there is no way I could ever afford them, so I am wondering how much they cost in the United States, compared to here in Saskatchewan,Canada.It never fails, something new comes out and I can never afford it, I should know by now to not get so excited. I turned 49 this January, and I figure that I could possibly still live another 25 years, so the implants would have been great. If any of you with the dreaded dry mouth can get them, then I hope that you do!They will be so much better than dentures, I hope any of you who want them, can afford to get them! If anyone reading this has got them, I would like to hear how much you are happy that you got them.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote