Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Hi, Pepe. Back in 1997 - 99, I was more and more tired out. After lots of research and seeing docs, I figured out I might have a B12 deficiency. Had to ask twice to get the test. My level was way below normal and was given B12 shots.

I didn't have pernicious anemia but a B12 deficiency due to no stomach acid. Without the acid, I couldn't digest my food well enough and didn't absorb the B12.

Pernicious anemia is yet another autoimmune disease. Antibodies (parietal and/or intrinsic factor) attack the stomach. They attack where the stomach produces stomach acid. People with pernicious anemia usually don't have stomach acid either but you should have a gastroenterologist check to see how much or little is left. If you don't have any stomach acid, then you can take Betaine HCL (over the counter supplement) to help you digest your food.

After my B12 deficiency, I still didn't feel well (weak and short of breath). A couple years later I was diagnosed with MG. It's possible that the long-standing, severe B12 deficiency upset my immune system enough to cause the MG. Who knows.

I started taking Methylcobalamin in 2000 and felt better than when I was on the shots. It's a tablet that you put under your tongue and it goes to work right away in the bloodstream. For people with pernicious anemia, it is impossible to absorb B12 through the GI tract. I take 5 mg (5000 mcg) of Methylcobalamin daily. If you have pernicious anemia, you need to take B12 daily - and folic acid - for the rest of your life.

I need to explain the B12/folic acid thing. If you take folic acid only, you can get a B12 def. If you take B12 only, you can get a folic acid deficiency. It had to do with the biochemical process of those vitamins in the body. Sorry, I forget to explain things sometimes.

It takes about as long to recover from a B12 deficiency as you've had it. Did you have numbness and/or tingling in your hands, feet/ankles or face?

Pernicous anemia (PA) affects the nerves, which can affect the muscles. MG affects the muscles (neuromuscular junction). It can be confusing but a good neuro can tell the difference. PA does not cause fatigable weakness.

If you had MG antibodies and then had PA antibodies, it just means you now have two autoimmune diseases and may get more in your lifetime. Though it doesn't mean that you will!!!!

Just have a good discussion with your doctors about all this. Make them explain it to you. Have them give you handouts if they have them. They should give you a complete treatment plan (like B12 shots versus taking sublingual B12). You do need treatment DAILY for the rest of your life for the PA.

I hope this helps you out.

Annie
Annie

Thank you for taking so much of your time to respond. I appreciate it. My primary did explain a lot. She has started me on B12 shots already and explained I wont absorb anything by mouth that is why I need the shots. I was definitely antibody postive and it was very high for PA. My confusion is and I guess I'm just hoping that could it have been PA all along and not MG??? I've been zero negative for MG diagosed with a single fiber EMG, VERY enlarged thymus, that was removed and I respond to mestinon? I guess I will have to wait to see my neurologist. Thanks again for your help Annie, You have been great! Take care of yourself!
Pepe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote