View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 06:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy Feline kidney disease

My sweet 15 yr old kitty, Picabo, has been having kidney problems for about a year now. We just had shots and a check-up, and she's lost weight despite the fact that I leave food out for her all the time. She doesn't wash herself much, and sleeps all the time. Now she's begging for food but vomits up almost everything we've given her.

The vet says there are several treatment options, ranging from least agressive of sub-Q fluids on up through hospitalization and IVs. She would probably require oral meds for the rest of her life, and definitely sub-Q fluids about every other day, although I could do the fluid injections at home.

Has anyone had experience with a cat with kidney disease? If I had all the money (and time and energy) in the world, there would be no question - I would have her treated as necessary. But here in the real world, what am I supposed to do? I've cried and cried as I try to work out the best options for all involved. I swore when I took our golden retriever to be put down that I wasn't going to be the one to do it next time! I'm still traumatized, 7 yrs later, after having to put my horse down.

Say I start her on the sub-Q fluids and it helps. She might live a few more months, or a year, and she would be more comfortable. But I would have to stick a needle in her every other day (you know how cats just LOVE that) and I have to consider the cost of the solution and supplies. Plus, the fluid will only solve some of her problems. In order to treat all her ills she would need several other meds as well. ($$) And who would I be doing it for, me or her? Am I just being selfish to try to keep her here, or is it more selfish not to?

I'm sorry if I'm a little incoherent. I'm really upset about this right now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time, and annoys the pig."
msarkie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote