View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 05:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Can a forum such as this be dangerous?

My title should have been, "Can a community such as this be dangerous?" . . . that's because I didn't mean this forum, but another forum within the Neurotalk community.

Yesterday I was participating in a thread about Liver Cleanse.

What happened yesterday is causing me continued distress today, and I am therefore thinking about it.

One of the things I am thinking is how my doctors failed me when they put me on antidepressants rather than increase my B12 prescription. Why do I think that was a failure? Because after a few weeks of euphoria on Serafem I suddenly had double incontinence and other side effects. But the double incontinence was the worst.

Since that time I have had tetanus and after having several weeks of Metronidazol to kill the clostridia bacteria I was given a prescription for a B12 shot a day because of the extreme difficulty I was having walking due to loss of sensation alternating with extreme sharp pain.

What is of interest about that is that despite having my home foreclosed after that and several other intense problems, I was not depressed. In fact I had a lot more mental activity in terms of thoughts about what to do, and I was successful in saving my home in the end.

So, if a doctor can be wrong, then what makes members of forums think that their idea of what is right is absolute and the be-all and end-all?

My feeling and something I say in almost all the forums I belong to, is that people need to keep some kind of written track of their symptoms, vitamin intake, medications, and test results, so that they themselves can see if they are improving or the opposite.

Without having written notes on my health from the time my neurologist suggested keeping what he called a "Time Line" I would not have been able to see what a big difference there was in my life as a result of taking B12. That's' because my memory was impaired when my B12 level was very low, so I wouldn't have remembered clearly.

The notes show me what the facts were.

It is vitally important for people to know their own history on a day to day level, and it is vitally important to realize that doctors are not always right, that doctors are often encouraged by drug saleswomen who are extremely attractive physically to prescribe the drugs that they are selling.

If doctors can make mistakes with the health of their patients then what on earth gives forum members the idea that they are infallible in their "diagnosis" and that if they are not given the utmost respect and their word taken as gospel, then they have the right to say that the other person is a danger to themselves?

I am writing this because I remain shocked and my muscles are all tight again from the stress.

I want to warn members that other members can not know your health as well as you can know your own health if you keep track of daily symptoms, what you are taking, and what your tests say.

Other members may have excellent advice and their experience may be extremely useful, but once they take the attitude that they are so much more knowledgeable than you then it's time to realize there is a danger in forums like this. (and it isn't you)

In my humble opinion.

Last edited by kimmydawn; 12-18-2006 at 10:34 AM.
ConsiderThis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote