Thread: Hoveround
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was so lucky to get this chair. I found it on craigslist for $150 and I thought that was probably a misprint. I emailed about it anyway and never got an answer for 4 or 5 days, so then I thought for sure someone else had gotten it. All of a sudden, though, I got an email to come look at it and I made sure I got there first. Sure enough, it was $150! And all it needed was batteries! My kids put the money together for me to get it and then I ordered gel batteries and a portable ramp to get in and out of my apartment and that's how I got wheels!

My neurologist told me that as long as I don't totally depend on it around the house that it's fine for going out and about since I can't walk any distance. And he said I was incredibly fortunate to find it at that price because they're very hard to get medicare or medicaid to pay for. Contrary to what the ads say, it's just as hard or harder to get one "at no cost to you" as the ads say.

The lady I got it from said her partner only used it for about a year before she passed away and that it's only about 3 years old. The batteries just died from sitting so long without charging.

I really wanted a scooter but I've been looking forever without being able to find one of those I could afford.

I took it out for the first time yesterday and aside from one brief altercation with the bushes, I didn't do too badly.
Grizabella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote