View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 05:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama1 View Post
you'll work though this initial period. there is a bright future. i'm a 53 year old ts'er who wasn't expected to finish elementary school. looking and working toward that bright future is the key. i joined the navy upon finishing high school and somehow managed to cope with the add and ocd that usually accompanies ts. i found out i excel with words, finished college and grad school and now work in the middle east as a journalist. your son will find his gift and focus on that. in the meantime, you have to be positive.
How did you get through school? I am asking because my 10 year old will be going back to school next year. We homeschooled him this year and because of his defiance, ocd, mood swings, etc, we were not able to accomplish much of anything . He'll be repeating 4th grade, which we all, including his sensory therapist, believe is the best thing. He's not ready for 5th grade for many reasons.

I hope I'm not being to forward in asking these questions. How did you manage the mood swings and behavioral issues that come with TS and OCD? As a parent, I try to keep things as normal as possible, while accommodating his needs. It seems that the behavioral issues are the least talked about. His tics are the least of his problems, especially according to him. He is a rager and we've had the police here and have taken his to the hospital because they get very severe.

I guess I'm looking for some insight from someone who's lived though it. The perspective of the person who has these syndromes to help me understand what it's like from my son's perspective. He can't really vocalize how he feels but he is starting to recognize some of it and will sometimes talk about it.

Please help me understand.
brink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote