View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is so true GmaSue. That is why I have in my siggy, "There is always a joy waiting to bloom." That may seem impractical. But, in reality, it is not. And you just cited a perfect expample. Here is another one from my own experience: I was in a very bad place, pain both emotional and physical tearing at me and tearing me down. I have dealt with chronic pain for close to 20 years, and that is just the physical, we won't even go into the emotional and spiritual right now.

I like to get into my car and drive to someplace that is remote and is in a natural setting. This is just something I have always done when I need to express my pain and deal with it. It allows me the space that I need. A few weeks back I was doing just that and feeling very down, filled with pain, so much that I was nauseated with it. I pulled off on the side of the road, rolled down the windows, and sobbed, hard wracking sobs. Sometimes, it really does feel like the emotional pain will kill, it is so strong. Suddenly a cool breeze began to blow across my forehead. It was so comforting. I felt as though the hand of God were reaching out to comfort me. It was a very small joy indeed, but, also so very helpful. Allowing that joy to fill me in that moment, got me through the pain and suicidal thoughts filliing my mind. Once we allow our heart and our mind to open to, and be filled with joy that way, it is healing, and changes our focus from the pain to the joy in living with it and through it. It can also lessen the severity of it. That is kind of like using distraction. I'm sure you are very familiar with that.

Physical pain which is chronic and unrelenting does, indeed, tend to break us down. I understand the dark places it can lead to and what it can do to the mind. Been there many times. You are right about nourishing the pain, but, geezzz, it does capture our attention, how can it not? Trying to find ways to deal with the pain really is essential. I can't emphasize that enough. Please don't ever stop trying to deal with the physical pain. You may have to try many things and be open to what may yet help you. Of course there will always be ups and downs. Pain can be affected by so many things. Sometimes in my greatest moments of pain and despair, are the moments that I have also been touched with the greartest simple miracles. It is humbling. We are forced to reach out for help, sometimes again and again. I hope you find some of those simple miracles, actually, I hope we all do. sssssss

Sometimes we have to be courageous enough to try new things. I have found this to be so true in learning to deal with chronic pain.

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
Thoreau

~ You can give without loving, but you cannot love
without giving. ~
mistiis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (04-26-2009), pono (04-29-2009)