View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 04:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Here for a friend with PCS

Hello all,

My dearest friend slipped on some ice at work and hit his head at the beginning of February (requiring six staples to close the subsequent gash), and has been suffering PCS symptoms ever since. His CT scan came back clear, as well as his MRI, but EEG did show that he's having seizures. When he fell, he MAY have lost consciousness for a second, but suffered no amnesia, and has no noticable changes in personality (I know him very well, we talk every day and he is very open about his symptoms). He was on anti-depressants for about four weeks prior to the fall, and continues to be on such medication (though a different kind, prescribed for his PCS migraines). He is obviously on anti-seizure medication as well. His balance has been severly compromised since the fall, and he's beginning physical therapy for that this week.

I suppose I'm looking for any encouragement and advice you may have for him (and myself). I'm doing all I can for him, found him some books on dealing with MTBI, researched foods that are good and bad for headaches, found mild exercises for him to try, done all the research I can on this condition, but it's so hard to find answers. I'm worried because he's approaching the three-month mark and he does not feel much better than he did in February. He still has a bit of a fuzzy/detached feeling, has headaches every day, spaces off, loses his balance, and is feeling frustrated and lacking some confidence... and I'm sure his physical job isn't helping recovery. I've read that having a history of depression can prolong PCS symptoms...

I just want to give him hope. No one deserves to go through this, and it's painful to see him struggling (though he's handled it incredibly well so far, maintaining optimism aside from a few moments of frustration)

I'm glad to have found a place like this...thank you for reading and any advice or encouragement you may have.
Empathy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote