View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What a Crisis feel like

I have just gotten out of the ICU after having a Myasthenic Crisis - my first. I too used to wonder how I would know if I was in crisis. Let me tell you, the feeling is quite distinct and clear. For me this bout with MG started with the usual droopy eye and overall fatigue. But it progressed until one side of my face was completely non-functioning. I looked like I had had a stroke. Then I was unable to hold my head up and lastly I was unable to chew. At that point I went to the ER and was admitted to ICU and started on IVIG. I did not get to the point of respiratory failure but they tell me I was close. The breathing difficulty I experienced was not like the flu or pneumonia (both of which I have previously had). It is more a weakness in the ribcage and the diaphramatic muscles. It just feels like there is an elephant on your chest and it is hard to move the air through your lungs. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone to the ER sooner. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind123 View Post
Hi all.,
This is my third day on the mestinon., I know the neuro told me I would have more saliva, or something like that., well I have bad allergies., I take Zyrtec and singulair., sometimes if I am around alot of allergens I will get chest congestion and cough up phlegm ( sorry don't mean to be gross ) and it gets hard to exhale., kind of like asthma , but I have no problem only when I am around allergens. Since I had a cold about a month ago I have had this excess congestion., and it seems since I started the mestinon it has worsened., twice so far today I have had to cough up alot of phelgm., and I know it is not a myesthenic crisis as my breathing is not labored., it is like it always has been when I am around allergens., everything is blooming now., but it does seem worse since the mestinon.

Does any one else have this problem?

Also., please help, I get the CAT scan on Monday of the thymus gland., and I see the neuro Wednesday., I want to tell him about this chest congestion, because I think down the line., it might cause some confusion with the myasthenic crisis?

How could I differentiate this?

How does a crisis actually feel?

Thank you all so much
leaningin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote