View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Alienated family members

I'm a husband of a wife who has full body RSD. One of the downsides of this has been my wife's large family who've seemed to have vanished. Out of 8 siblings who all live nearby only one contacts my wife once in awhile. Even her mother stays away even though my wife has been angry with her because she feels (I don't see it, but I believe it) her mother has put distance between themselves. Her 4 sisters came over only one time in 3 years in which I took the opportunity to educate them about RSD and told them to look it up and read up on it and you'll see exactly what I've told you. One sister who works in the medical field stated that it would be wrong for my wife to take narcotics to control her pain, motrin and or acupuncture should be good enough in which I held back my tongue and kept my cool. My wife was so happy to see her sisters it just breaks my heart that they seem to stay away. It's strange to me because she will not call any of them because she will not use the phone at all mostly because of pain but is very happy when a brother stops by once in 4 years. I will say it is a two way street in that at the beginning of her RSD she was not too friendly with anyone at all and went into a bad depression and even to this day she will not go to family functions. This really does bother me because she is the oldest and the one who was always involved before the RSD. And I wish she would at least take a drive to her mothers but she will not go. Anyone have any experience with this or a solution or even "tricks" for that matter. I've tried to get her to see a psychologist but she refuses. She will only relate to my family. Sometimes I get the feeling she is doing this fearing that once she reestablishes her relationship with her family I may leave her. She has gotten better these past two years and would love to see her involved with her family again.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (04-27-2009)