View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Whirlwind, That is a very good question. It is a good idea to go there when you are feeling WELL and ask the staff what they would do for an MG crisis. Ask them if they do breathing tests, arterial blood gases, if they contact your neurologist and/or pulmonologist, etc. Ask if they have a writeup for their MG crisis procedures.

When I had my MG crisis, the staff of my somewhat large city hospital screwed up big time. They did not put me in the ICU, which is where someone having a crisis should be. When your breathing is that bad, it needs to be monitored constantly by a nurses station. Usually neuro units do not have that capability.

And they now have three options to handle an MG exacerbation, as far as breathing goes. You can have oxygen, which you should have right away. They can do Bi-Pap to help you breathe. And lastly, they can intubate you. It's great if they can avoid intubation by using Bi-Pap and plasmapheresis or IVIG.

Steroids are not really considered to be the best approach to a crisis because you can temporarily get worse before you get better.

Just call the hospital, find out who the right person is to talk to and ask lots of questions.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote