Thread: Just out of ICU
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I am so sorry you had a crisis. They are pretty damn scary. And you are right, no one should wait to go to the ER because you don't know how fast you can get worse.

I'm glad they caught things soon enough. What you may not know is that you are not somehow out of the woods right now. You have a greater chance of another crisis if you don't take it easy. I thought I had gotten better four months after mine and had an exacerbation almost as bad as the crisis - just from socializing with family!

You actually could be eligible for disability. Soc. Sec. disability is not defined as being able to work zero hours. It's the fact that you can't consistently work a 40 hour week for a month's time. There was a company in Florida who helped me get my disability but I can't locate them right now. I'll let you know if I find them or if they still exist. They were a nonprofit that helped with the soc. security disability process. A local disability lawyer should be able to give you a free consultation about the whole process, which can actually take 2 - 3 years!

I have one more thing to add about an MG crisis. Call 911. Don't drive yourself or have someone else drive you if you are that bad!

Contact the MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) about what they can do to help you! I really don't know what they can do. You can work with the hospital though and sometimes you can even pay much less if they know you don't make much.

Do you have medical insurance? Do you have short-term disability at work? If not, it's worth it to get it NOW. Look into all options insurance-wise.

PLEASE be careful. You are still at risk for getting worse. And we're coming into the hot months.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote