Thread: Just out of ICU
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningin View Post
I've just survived my first myasthenic crisis. I had a Thymectomy in 2005 and have expressed mostly remission with occassional breakthrough symptoms since then. About a month ago, I got my usual droopy eye, double vision and general weakness. The difference is that this time it progressed. Eventually, I couldn't hold my head up or chew and the entire right side of my face looked like I had had a stroke.

I finally went to the ER and was admitted to the ICU for IVIG. They told me that if I had waited much longer I would have gone into respiratory distress. THe IVIG, steroids and cellcept worked to reverse some of the symptoms. I'm out of the hospital and back at work but my butt is dragging. After about 5 hours at work I just hit a wall.

Two things: My advice to all of you is not to wait as long as I did to get to the ER. When your head and neck muscles weaken - get help. Second, how in the world do you all hold down a full time job with this disease. I REALLY need to know. I am a single woman with no other means of support. I am not eligible for disability because my attacks are intermittent. But I feel like I'm getting on thing ice with my job because I can't fully function.

Also, I am left with about a $10,000 hospital bill from this latest episode as well as very expensive outpatient medications. Do you know of any MG Foundations that help patients with these expences? Really needing a lifeline and I hope y'all can help.
So sorry to hear you went through crisis, I have been 3 of them , it takes so long to get back to where you were before. Have you tried getting a ss lawyer, I know a lot of people declined over & over, until they got a lawyer, & it goes right through. Plus the cost of the lawyer gets paid through back owed money from when your disability started.
maryec is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote