View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tooth Extraction and pain in adjacent tooth

I had broken a tooth (no.5 on the upper left) on a popcorn hull three months back. I had gone to the dentist who advised a root canal and a crown. There was no other problem or infection.
I had had root canals before, but this was the most painful ever. He had done the root canal and put on a temporary crown, and the pain was bad. I had gone back twice, but each time it was dismissed as reaction to temporary crown filling material, was assured it will be better once the permanant was in place. Well, the permanant was placed and two weeks later the gum was swollen, and the tooth was very painful.

After much dilly dallying they admitted that the root canal was not done proper, so they have to extract the tooth, and do an implant. I was in so much pain and was willing do anything to get rid of the pain.

They extracted the tooth two and half weeks back, it was healing well, Now I have a pain in the tooth adjacent to it ( number 4). Its not sensitive to heat or cold, but pains when I bite. Sometimes there is burning pain leading upto my nose and sinuses...
Went and got an x ray, and dentist assures there is no cavity or decay, and must be due to overbite ( have an overbite not corrected in child hood.. am 39 now) and the fact the missing tooth must be making the overbite worse.
Last week I had very bad pain in the jaw and ear joint on that side, and the dentist had said it must be due to eating only on one side.
Now the pain in jaw has lessened a little, but its the adjacent tooth thats worrying me now. Is it possible there is something wrong in this tooth and that does not show in the xray ? Should I go for a second opinion ?
I am not in my home country.. other wise I would have gone to my regular dentist for help.. I googled a lot but did not have an answer..
I don't know whether to worry or not, or that I have become paranoid because they had messed up my tooth in the first place .. Please help !
lotta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote