View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Shez,

I would take all of your prescriptions including the PreviDent, into the pharmacist and have him check for any interactions. You take quite a load of drugs.

Do you suffer from anxiety and OCD?

I would be more concerned about your GERD. That can lead to esophageal cancer. Your teeth can be replaced, your esophagus can not.

I would lighten up on the fluoride. It may be a problem for you. It can in some situations form hydrofluoric acid. That will eat your teeth away. BTW, I have very little enamel on my teeth to the point that they are translucent. Not been a big problem for me.

I hope your prescribing doctor is a psychiatrist who talks with your neurologist. Most MDs tend to not understand the interactions. Buspar and phenobarbital are not good to mix. Zonisamide and phenobarb also have a caution about mixing.

I was on Dilantin (Phenytoin) and phenobarb years ago. Now, I just take Neurontin. Dilantin is wicked on gums.

Have you ever been seen by a chiropractor to check your back to see if you have a nerve problem causing your GERD? How about lactose intolerance? My lactose intolerance was burning up my esophagus and up into Eustachian tubes (they go up to the ear canal). Once I figured it out, my GERD went away. The MD just wanted to put me on acid reducers. Occasionally, my back acts up and my GERD comes back until I get my back healthy again.

I tried Lactade capsules but they did not help. I drink only lactose reduced milk.
Hi Mark,

Sorry I'm just now responding..

Yes, I did take a lot of medications - which complicated my general health. The buspar is to complement the effexor xr for major depression and anxiety. Phenobarbital and the zonisamide were used to manage my seizure activity. I just got out of the hospital (after an 8 day stay) to get safely weaned off my 2 AED medications. So, no more phenobarbital or zonisamide !

I have the esophageal type of GERD, the symptoms aren't the same as general. I don't fit the description of those who suffer GERD either. As a result, I've suffered for years and didn't know it. I have worried since diagnosis that esophageal cancer or Barrett's esophagus may be in the future, but I push myself not to worry needlessly. There's lots of other stuff to worry about instead .

Thanks for your post ~ take care!
Shez
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote