View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi JKMMC,

I'm glad that you had the CT scans done because that shows a very clear picture of your skeletal structure with relation to your bite, along with the degree of deterioration of the jawbone and any lesions that may be present. I am glad that the studies show that you are a good candidate for dental implants!

In an extreme case such as yours, I personally have never heard of placing full mouth implants as soon as 2 weeks post extraction surgery. Even 3 months seems a bit soon, but every case is different and as you said, it all depends on how well the extraction sites heal. Are they placing implants for individual crowns and/or bridges? Or are they implants for full dentures?

I know this is a scary journey as it is very unfamiliar territory for anyone who has never experienced it. From my experience, the outcome is generally very good and hopefully yours will be too! It is great to hear that you are feeling very positive everything!

It is always a good idea to fully understand what your treatment plan is going to be as well as what you need to do during the healing phase so you are fully prepared to take care of yourself. It is also a good idea to ask what the anticipated time frame is from the time of the extractions to the final delivery of your permanent replacement of teeth.

It would be interesting to follow your progress as you move along. So I hope that you visit us and keep us posted on how things are going!!

All the best to you!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMMC View Post
Thank you for your response, Bryanna!

I have seen an Oral surgeon (and saw another for a second opinion), I had special scans done of my mouth, and they believe I am a candidate for dental implants-- thank God!

Within the next two weeks I will be having all of my teeth extracted. Because of my medical condition, they are going to do it in the hospital, and I will be in the ICU for a few days for observation.

When the implants can be put in really all depends on how I recover from the extraction surgery-- the implants may be able to be put in anywhere from 2 weeks- 3 months after, according to the surgeon.

While I am still so devastated that this is happeneing, I am SO relieved that I will be able to get implants. I am only in my 30's, if I had to spend the rest of my life with dentures, I don't think I would even want to live that way.

Mary-- I am so sorry that you have gone through this as well. I wish you the best. You're in my prayers!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote