View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi lotta,

Being away from home with a tooth problem can be very difficult. Having said that, if you are under alot of stress, you may be grinding your teeth which could cause a tooth to hurt or ache. Grinding your teeth could also cause discomfort or pain in the muscle near the ear.

Anytime we have a tooth removed, the bite shifts a little. Some teeth cause more shifting than others and it really depends on the individual. Our teeth are meant to bite against other teeth. Sometimes the removal of one tooth makes the bite more exaggerated on another tooth which could be one thing that is happening here. Do you plan on having that tooth replaced with an implant or bridge?

Sometimes there is a fracture in a tooth that does not show up on an xray. That would cause the tooth to hurt and possibly be sensitive to temperature. Sometimes the tooth next to the extracted one becomes sore or achey for a while because it was moved during the extraction. In those cases, the tooth usually calms down on it's own.

There could be any number of things going on with that tooth. If there is no pathology present, no swelling or oozing of pus from the gum then until you can pinpoint what it is, you may have to tough it out and become very aware of what you do that sets off the pain. Once you get back home, see your regular dentist for an xray and evaluation. In the meantime, anti-inflammatory OTC meds can be helpful to reduce the inflammation.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this....... please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotta View Post
I had broken a tooth (no.5 on the upper left) on a popcorn hull three months back. I had gone to the dentist who advised a root canal and a crown. There was no other problem or infection.
I had had root canals before, but this was the most painful ever. He had done the root canal and put on a temporary crown, and the pain was bad. I had gone back twice, but each time it was dismissed as reaction to temporary crown filling material, was assured it will be better once the permanant was in place. Well, the permanant was placed and two weeks later the gum was swollen, and the tooth was very painful.

After much dilly dallying they admitted that the root canal was not done proper, so they have to extract the tooth, and do an implant. I was in so much pain and was willing do anything to get rid of the pain.

They extracted the tooth two and half weeks back, it was healing well, Now I have a pain in the tooth adjacent to it ( number 4). Its not sensitive to heat or cold, but pains when I bite. Sometimes there is burning pain leading upto my nose and sinuses...
Went and got an x ray, and dentist assures there is no cavity or decay, and must be due to overbite ( have an overbite not corrected in child hood.. am 39 now) and the fact the missing tooth must be making the overbite worse.
Last week I had very bad pain in the jaw and ear joint on that side, and the dentist had said it must be due to eating only on one side.
Now the pain in jaw has lessened a little, but its the adjacent tooth thats worrying me now. Is it possible there is something wrong in this tooth and that does not show in the xray ? Should I go for a second opinion ?
I am not in my home country.. other wise I would have gone to my regular dentist for help.. I googled a lot but did not have an answer..
I don't know whether to worry or not, or that I have become paranoid because they had messed up my tooth in the first place .. Please help !
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote