Thread: It Get's So Old
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryec View Post
LOL....I am also so sick of pills, & IV's, & doctors !
/big hug! I totally sympathize with how madening the pain from Neuropathy can be. I have been dealing with similar pain in my feet. Many times the pain meds do absolutly nothing to alleviate it. I feel like just force of will makes me get up and do things and many times I dont have the will!

Seems like learning to cope is a process and I am by no means an expert, but this is what I am finding helps me.

1. Excercise - I know it hurts, sometimes I feel like I want to cry when I go for a walk, but its far worse to let myself sit at home and be miserable. Just getting outside helps me reaffirm that I am not going to let this disease shrink my world. I live in a third floor condo, and not a day goes by that I dont think about selling it and moving into someplace that is wheel chair accessible or at least that doesnt have steps.

2. Humor - I keep DVD's of my favorite shows handy, or sometimes I will just watch wierd things on Youtube if only to make me laugh. IDK, it helps me cope.

3. Distraction - I have to keep games, puzzles, the laptop all handy and have the TV on or the radio or both lol. Multitasking helps me.

4. Regular routine - and not overdoing it when I feel good. If I am learning anything, it is patience. I walk around slower. I take breaks to sit down more frequently. Etc. I am learning to just be patient with my body and not push it. I am walking with a cane and leg brace now wich is always frustrating but on days when I decide not to use my cane because its too much hassle to try and juggle things that take two hands I feel way worse than If I ask for help from a coworker or student.

Everyone's situation is different, there are many days when I feel I am alone, or like I am useless, or that it will never get better so why bother. You are not alone, I know it sounds cliche to say hang in there, but... Hang in there

/hug
kreink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote