View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Update

Well, to update, we had a busy day last Wednesday. Reed saw his pm doc, the psychologist, and the ortho/prosthetic doc. I'll try to keep it short, but we got alot of info.
Pm doc said PT wasn't the best idea at the moment ( mostly because Reed said he couldn't tell it was helping and his pain was worse.) PM also said that Reed needs to have an offloading brace..looks like a prosthetic leg made. The PM doc, who we normally love, was in a "mood" apparently, and wasn't happy that in his opinion, Reed was giving up on furthering his education right now. Long story.. PM told Reed that the brace was the only option to relieve some pain.. short of amputation! Needless to say, that little blurb shocked me..but I think that was the point. He doesn't seem to understand that Reed's body, NOR his state of mind is in the right place for school right now. Grrrrrrr
Next we saw the psychologist. He was very nice.. told Reed that he isn't crazy which was a relief, as he was beginning to think he was losing it. Psych suggested that Reed's dosage of Zoloft needs to be raised, and so far, it's really helping.
Next we saw the prosthetic guys, and had the mould made for Reed's brace. The people there were great. They took time to talk to Reed, and eased his mind about PT. ( PM was making him feel guilty about it) The prosthetic guy said that with the sort of damage Reed has, he feels that PT could actually hurt more than help. He also said that he think Reed's a good candidate for "graduating" to a less cumbersome brace after some time.
Overall it was a good day.. getting some things accomplished. I'm just still upset with the PM doc. I can understand having a grump day.. Good Lord, Reed has them constantly, but to tell someone they would be better off having their leg chopped off.. to me was just unprofessional.
Anyhoo.. sorry for the long "short version" and I hope everyone is having a good pain free day! Hugs to all!

Rita
Rita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote