Thread: Spinal fusion
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 08:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default re spinal fusion

hi yorkiemom, i just had a cervical fusion-the anterior kind,where they go thru the front of the neck.i just had it in june and if i knew then what i know now,i dont think i would have went thru with the surgery-they used cadaver bone to fuse 2 levels and then used titanium plate and screws.the surgery went well-the plate and screws are still in allignment,so that part has gone well-but with all the other problems i have going on-my body has not healed well.most people i talk to that have had this surgery and dont have any other med issues going on tell me that they were better within a few weeks,back to work,back to exercising etc.i on the other hand still can not sleep in my bed,have to sleep on the recliner-too painful to lay flat-still having major pain and the surgery has flared up all my other med issues.i would definitely would tell your friend to sit back and think about this with great thought.they are now telling me that i possibly have scarring on my vocal cords or trachea as a result of the surgery which has had me gasping for air for 2 months now.they say they can hear my vocal cords close up,which is stopping the normal flow of air.if your friend was healthy,i would say she would probably would get alot of benefit from this surgery,but she has other issues,autoimmune and that could flare them up.i hope i helped you get some insight into what this surgery entails and the problems that can occur,kathy
CRAZYCARE4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote