View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Lizzie, Your humor is helpful by itself! You're so delightful.

WW, I remember the first time I was dx'd with MG - I just kept thinking "I'm DISEASED" and that thought was horrifying to me. In time, you get used to the idea that you have a condition, but in the meantime I know it's all so overwhelming and scary.

Laughter is sooo important. It releases endorphins, for one thing. Watch a funny movie or read the comics, anything that will get you to laugh. There's an old psychology trick about compartmentalizing problems that may help you learn to control how much you think about your dx. Basically, you tell yourself that you will only allow yourself X amount of time each day to think about having MG. The rest of the time, if thoughts of MG creep in you push them out - out loud if necessary. Your brain takes direction, and if you train it to allow you some peace it will - as long as you don't put things off completely which isn't at all healthy. It sometimes takes some time to develope the skill, but it has been invaluable to me during high stress times.

Allow yourself ample time to research, question, cry, shout, whatever. But allow yourself some time each day to escape, too. You may find yourself talking to yourself out loud a lot, but sometimes saying something out loud seems to help your mind get it straight.

The most extreme example I know of is my husbands aunt. When she lost her husband and youngest daughter in a car accident (which she was also in, but she wasn't hurt at all, and so witnessed both of their conditions and deaths), it was too much for her to deal with. Her physchologist had her tell herself that her husband was just out of town on business so she could grieve the loss of just her daughter. When she got through that process, she was allowed to let herself acknowlege that her husband was gone too and start grieving him.

I hope you can put this to use. I feel so sorry for you trying to get a handle on all this at once!

Remember to laugh, smile and love!
Becky
ras1256 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote