View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 11:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink

Kathy,
I have the same problem with the muscle loss in my leg. My left leg is much stronger than my right (dominant but also RSD leg). The last time that a doc checked things I had 3/4 inch difference between my leg and right leg in muscle mass, the right one being the one that was 3/4 inch smaller muscle wise than my left. Since I am right side dominant, and I had very BIG and strong muscles in my legs from all of my years Fencing ( I LOVE these new smilies!!)and doing other athletics, I am sure that I had lost more than the 3/4 inch in my right leg. It was bigger just because it was dominant, and because of all of the fencing stuff. I wish that I knew HOW much I had lost.....but then, the last time that anyone actually measured this was a few years ago, and I am sure that things have only gotten worse. I will tell you, though, that it was because of that doc telling me that measurement, that I decided that I would try my damnedest to do everything that I could to not lose any more muscle than I had to. That is why I try to walk as much as possible....I want to try to keep what muscle I do have, and to slow down any more loss that will be happening. I have a long long time to go in this bod of mine....You know?

Anyway...Like Liz said, the difference in muscle mass from side to side is part and parcel of RSD. It is going to happen...it is just up to us to try to do everything and anything that we can to slow it down as much as we possibly can. So, please don't make this interfere with your carving! Or, to think that it isn't doing you any good to keep on with it for your RSD. You know differently than that! Who knows what condition your hand/arm would be in if you hadn't started your beautiful carvings when you did? You have found that you have this wonderful gift, and it is helping you to do it in so many ways! I just wanted to let you know that I think that your art is BEAUTIFUL and that I admire you for being able to do it.

As far as the enlarged muscle on your shoulder.....I again agree with Liz (and you) that it is probably from guarding, and possibly from how you have learned to use your hand to do your artwork (have you thought of that possibility? Could that be a possibility? I know that I have come up with some different and unique ways for doing things, that I don't even think about, until someone brings it to my attention by saying something like "how are you doing that? WHY are you doing that like that? Isn't that awkward?" or something along those lines. Isn't awkward to me...it is simply how I have adapted, and I didn't even think about it until someone said something...LOL). I also agree that it might be a good thing to ask your doctor about, because it is so easy for us all to fall into the "Oh, that is just because of RSD" trap. It never hurts to ask...especially if something has worried you, or made you wonder. No such thing as a stupid question...only stupid ones are the ones that aren't asked...or however that saying goes (I just like the first part....LOLOL, I do know that is how that part goes!)

I hope that you are doing Ok? Are you ready for the Holidays? I so totally am not! I haven't gotten hardly any shopping done, I still have some Christmas Cards sitting on the table, waiting for me to write in and send off (the envelopes are all addressed any everything...I just need to either write in them, or stick pictures of the kids in them. I have to do everything in stages and take breaks, otherwise I can't get it done at all! I am sure that you know what I am talking about, as does most everyone else here! LOL), and I have clothes to dig out, washing to do, and packing to get done all by Tuesday so we can be loaded up and ready to leave out of here by Lunch time on Wednesday. Takes us over and hour and half (almost 2) to get up to the airport, we have to be there 2 hours before our flight leaves out, and that is supposed to happen at 4:35. Then it is off in the plane for 2 hours, landing in Dallas for a 3 hour lay over, and then back in the plan for 3 to 4 more (I think 4..but I have gotten all confused with the time changes and whatnot. LOL) to get to Vegas at 10:30 their time. Basically that is 8 hours worth of traveling for us that day. I am going to be wiped out! And, I hav a feeling, still not done with everything that I need to have done! ROFL

I have to go and look on the Airlines Website for info about what you are allowed to take on the plane. I am wondering if you can take a little bitty size 22 or 24 (can't remember which it is...but is a small one) needle point needle. I am hoping that I can....because I am trying to get a present done for my Brother, and am not sure that I will be able to before we leave on Weds. I am pretty sure I COULD get it done on the plane(s) and during the lay over, if I am allowed that one, little bitty needle. I don't need any scissors or anything, because I willl bite off strings and trim stuff up better once we get to my folks. Just a needle. LOLOL...do you know? Does ANYONE know? Or...if not, I mean if I can't...does anyone know if there are PLASTIC ones somewhere? I am DESPERATE here! ROFL!

Sorry..I got all off topic there. I was just thinking about making stuff because of you and your wonderful horse carvings (I need to get a hold of you about getting one of those sometime! They really are Beautiful!), which led to what has been praying on my mind and what I have been worrying about...and BAM! I am off topic in a jiffy! LOL. Some things never change, huh? Sorry.

Anyways...I really do think that your "thinner" muscles on your RSD side are because of the RSD and what it does (Liz said it just like my doc did), and that you should ask your doc about the enlarged muscle also. Just to set your mind at ease if nothing else. I don't have any enlarged muscles anywhere on any of my RSD affected limbs...it is the opposite side that has the bigger muscles (and much stronger than they used to be.....not just bigger looking compared to how the right side looks. If that makes any sense?) because of how I guard, over use...and how I have had to figure out how to make up and do things and be able to get around. The only other muscle problems that I have are spasms and cramps.....and the crappy electrical shooting stuff that hurts and is in the muscles, can make them feel like they had a charlie horse happen, but I guess is a nerve thing too. And the Jerking, which I am not sure what is called...other and Jerking. LOL...I guess a type of spasm..but not like the painful long lasting spasms that I get. This is more like a spastic spasm? LOL, I know that I am not making any sense now!

Anyway..As per usual, this wound up being much too much long. Sorry for that too. You know how I am though; I type like I talk (), and that is too much, and I can't seem to get a grip on it no matter what I do. In fact, the more that I Try, the worse that it gets. Go figure. I sure can't figure that one out. I guess it is a sign that I need to keep taking a page out of Popeye's book ; I yam what I yam, and that's all that I yam! ROFL!

I hope that you are all ready for the Holidays...and that you have Wonderful and Happy Holidays this year! I hope that your weather isn't as crazy as it has been down here, but that if it HAS to be crazy, that it is crazy on the Warm side. I am really glad to see you post, because it had been a long time, and I was starting to get worried. I hope that you are OK.

Ok. Stopping now, I promise! Merry Christmas!!!

Love and (((Hugs)))
Jose <-- who is trying to not panic about everything NOT done yet, and not turn in to Grinchy Jose again (or still..or whatever! LOL)
Joselita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote