View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hello Shell and Welcome to Neurotalk - you will meet many great people here who i'm sure will be more than happy to help you if they can!

I'm so sorry to hear about everything that you have been through and are continuing to go through!! I really hope things start getting better for you real soon and please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

I can't help you with the spinal fusion as I haven't had one but did want to welcome you to the forum and let you know that I DO understand some of what you are going through!! I have RSD in my left leg and both arms. I developed it when I was 12 years old after an ankle sprain and am now 14. I have tried all sorts of medications, therapies etc to try and help but none have really worked so far.

Surgery isn't usually suggested for RSD and sufferers are usually told to avoid it at all costs if they can. I haven't had surgery since I was diagnosed other than an ingrown toenail removal on my RSD leg and it created even more problems. I developed severe myoclonic spasms/jerks from the spasms and I also had a nerve block which put me in a wheelchair for 13 months.

If you have to have surgery, it is usually suggested that you have a nerve block before and possibly afterwards. They can usually stop some of the post-operative pain and try and stop the RSD from spreading or getting any worse. Also, it is essential that you have a doctor that knows about RSD and please don't be afraid to tell them about RSD - it is really important that they know so that they can help you the best they can.

I'm sorry that I can't help you that much! Just know that I care and if you ever need anything, I am here for you! I'm sure somebody will stop by soon and answer some of your questions if they can!

Alison.