View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseszverra View Post
Hey. I just thought you should know that doctors brush off everything they are ignorant of. I went to 6 different doctors about abdominal pain on one side that spread. I had had kids and so many ultrasounds that I should glow in the dark! All those doctors told me that I had cramps - there was nothing to worry about or to do about it. My own mother told me that I was going to have to get used to having cramps this bad and just find a medication to work on them. I finally found a doctor that took me seriously. After throwing up before my period for years, several miscarriages, and 2 ectopic pregnancies later, at the age of 26, I had a hysterectomy. No more kids for me because nobody took the time to find out what was wrong. My miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies could have been avoided. I almost died with one of them. My only point is NEVER doubt your instinct. Some things don't seem serious until you find out the cause. I never thought that having menstral cramps would cause me to have lost babies or lose my ability to have them at all. After all, every woman gets them, right? Wrong! My doctors were swamped and unconcerned. I didn't have to lose those babies and you don't have to suffer. Trust me. Nothing that seems wrong to you should be blown off because the "experts" say it's nothing. Find yourself a doctor who cares and listens. It's worth the time it takes. And you might want to look into some sort of state assistance. They have programs that discount medical insurance for people who work and they might be able to help you pay for some of the additional costs like medications. There are a ton of programs out there. Ask around. Go to social services. Even if they can't help you, they can usually guide you to someone who can. It's worth the trip in to see them. Good luck.
To the first person in this thread.
It's true Doctors can be useless and trained to always know everything so when they don't they brush symptoms away and usually don't listen to the patient. Find one that will listen to you and is willing to tell you when you are assigning a symptom that doesn't connect to what your talking about but secure in themselves enough to question that symptom and dig for an answer to the problem.

Chiri Malformations can be caused by a lot of things one of which is a genetic condition known as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and/or marafans syndrome. They can also be caused on their own completely.
I have been having weakness in my legs on and off for two years but not sure if it's from my back or a possible chiari malformation. I'm about to force the issue with my docs and make them do a mri on my brain and back. I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome so we slip out of joint with all our joints for no reason at all. Kinda annoying when you have to wake in the middle of the night cause your collar bone won't stay put. I hate it when that happens.

To the person in the reply: Ultrasounds don't use radiation to give you the picture so rest assured you won't glow in the dark. MRI's use magnets. CT's do use radiation to image and you could glow in the dark but I have had a few of those in my time and am disappointed to say that I don't glow in the dark despite working as a dental assistant for 11 years.
alaskastephanie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote