Thread: Scones
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Koala, I just thought of you when I made scones this morning.

I was given some buttermilk so figured I would make some buttermilk scones and I just fed the neighbours on either side of me and myself. lol I topped them with strawberry jam and whipped cream (with a tiny bit of icing sugar in it and some vanilla extract for sweetening).

I used this recipe below. She said to knead a little as possible and to use a knife to cut through the dough. Worked really well. They rose beautifully and were nice and crusty on the bottom.

Soooooooo yummy.

Buttermilk scones
Pamela Clark - Sydney Good Food and Wine Show

INGREDIENTS

2 ½ cups self-raising flour
1 tablespoon caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
30g butter
1 ¼ cups buttermilk

METHOD

Preheat oven to very hot - 240°C/220°C (fan forced).

Grease deep 19cm-square cake pan. Sift flour, sugar and salt into large bowl; rub in butter with fingertips

Make well in centre of flour mixture; add buttermilk. Using a knife “cut” the milk and water through the wet mixture to mix to a soft, sticky dough.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead quickly and lightly until smooth.

Use hand to press dough out evenly to 2cm thickness.

Dip 4.5cm cutter into flour; cut as many rounds as you can from the piece of dough. Place scones side by side, just touching, in prepared pan. Gently knead scraps of dough together, and repeat pressing and cutting out of dough. Place rounds in prepared pan; brush tops with a little extra milk.

Bake scones in very hot oven about 15 minutes.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (05-02-2009), mrsD (05-03-2009)