View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiaDana View Post
I have a nickel allergy every since my first daughter was born. Now I wear gold, but it has never been an issue with food.

Dana
I too wear GOLD jewelry, but that is exactly what is causing my skin to break out and not to be able to wear my 14k Wedding Band any more (after 20 yrs of marriage), reason being is that most GOLD that is 14k or less is often mixed with Nickel to make the metal stronger and last longer.

Now what............... I guess my body has just become very sensitive to Nickel over time, therefore, I am having problems with food and other items that contain Nickel in them.

Should Foods Containing Nickel Be Avoided?
There is disagreement within the medical community as to whether a nickel-sensitive person should avoid dietary nickel. A nickel-restricted diet may be prescribed for highly nickel sensitive people for a few months to see if there is any improvement in symptoms.
In this instance, the foods to avoid include acid foods cooked in stainless steel utensils, baking powder, beans, buckwheat, canned fruits, canned vegetables, cocoa & chocolate, dried fruit, figs, green beans, kale, leeks, legumes, lentils, lettuce, licorice, linseed, millet, nuts, oats, onions, oysters, peas, pineapple, prunes, raspberries, salmon, shellfish, soy powder, spinach, rhubarb, sprouts, sunflower seeds, tea, tomatoes, wheat bran products, and multigrain breads.

Treatment for Nickel Allergy
There is no way to desensitize a person with nickel allergy with shots, pills, or any other method. Avoiding use of nickel containing products is the key in treatment. Often times a rash can be stopped by applying a cortisone cream or lotion, but it can and will return with exposure.

What is a lady to do........ HELP!! - anyone?

Rhapsody -
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote