View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 07:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default It ain't over!

Here's what I suggest, there's a lot you can do.
1. Get an attorney. It should not cost you a dime.
2. Document everything. Every phone call to the SS office, who you talked to, etc.
3. Gather records. The thing here is the paper. What is said is up to debate, you need to have it in writing, the old paper trail. This was due to an accident, right? start with the accident report. then everything else that you can think of that is pertinent. Time lost at work, doctors appointments, ER visits and the records, ALL of it. This is a lot of legwork I know but you're in it to win.
4. Appeal any denial. Right up to the ALJ. It is said that it tends to tip in your favor the farther into it you go.
5. Remember when on the phone, especially with SS that the individual person is not against you. They have rules they must go by and a process to go through. They are a cog in the wheel, nothing more. They can be very helpful I have found. Conversely, they have rules and their rules say that if you cannot work, etc. you're entitled to SSDI and you're just trying to help them understand why you qualify FOR the benefits.
6. Keep a copy of everything, EVERYTHING. Make sure that when you send something that it has a signature of the person recieving it.
7. I went to the doctors offices, hospitals,etc for my own copies when I was applying. Call ahead, fax a medical release paper back/forth. Cuts down on a lot of waiting ,wondering.

This is a matter of a lot of legwork, phone time, etc. Good luck.
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote