View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) and B12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouman View Post
Good Morning, Neighbors: I have been diagnosed with PN in both feet. I am presently taking 600 to 900 mgs of gabapentin per day as well as 2 Metanx tablets for the stinging, tingling, stinging, and burning in both feet. I do not have any problem with weakness in either leg or dropping in either foot. I take an occasional temazepam when I am unable to get to sleep at night. I have read on this website and others that Methyl B12 is good for this condition and am in the process of ordering this vitamin. I have also read that alpha lipioc acid is good for PN. Does anyone know if the alpha lipoic acid is good for PN and if so can the B12 and alpha lipoic acid be taken together? Thanks a million and may God Bless!
Note: No physical condition is as bad as it could be!
ALA in conjuction with B12 is used by German MDs to treat PN resulting from diabetese, they have not shown it to be effective Idiopathic PN as of yet. Two major clinical tests are going on in separate medical schools, in in Moscow Russia and one in the US to test the German's claim. ALA helps the neurosystem and brain absorb vitamins Bs, C, D and E or so I understand, this is the route I am taking. Seems to help, I have had this PN for 2-3 decades, but only in thelast 5 years has surge significantly. It now covers 100% of me. I also used physical therapy tok retrain my body to rely on occula and vestibular mechanisms of balance. However, either the suppliment are helping or they are the best plecebos in existance. My intern say definitely take the suppliments. This conditions has gotten highly aggressive, so I am getting much more aggressive in my supplimental treatments. Regarding your feet, both my feet have no feeling with respect to pressure and my hands are almost as bad. Two of my MDs prescribed 10 - 18 inch boots, firm but not hard leather with high arches, as a result of these boots I can walk with out support and it feels like I can feel the ground again. Also, I have really severe stenosis up most my spine and am facing several more surgeries. After the first laminectomies of L4, L5, S1, S2 I got tremendous relief from the PN, it has since returned. We often think MRIs etc show all the points of compression that might cause PN, but that is not the case, as I learned I might just have a really tight spinal canal, as cortisone epidurals really help. So I am using everything I can find. CoQ10 looks promising, but I cannot tolerate it, mkes me sick.
Roy L Faverty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote