View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 06:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Can you walk with your eyes closed?

How much do you rely on visual feedback or cues when you walk? I rely on vision an awful lot.

When I enter my apartment, I usually turn on the light switch next to the door. If not, I have to walk several steps ahead of me to reach for the light over my stove. When I try to walk those few steps in the dark (and it is not even pitch black because of a light outside my window), I have a lot of trouble walking.
I walk very slowly, short steps and I feel unstable. I usually look down when I walk, and when it is dark, I cannot see anything. {for some reason firefox will not let me use apostrophes!}

Same thing outdoors when I encounter a darker area and I cannot see lines on the sidewalk. I slow down and feel less stable and my steps are shorter, even with my internal metronome.

In the case of my apartment, I clearly know the way. It seems my gait depends on vision. I have much trouble walking with my eyes closed, even for just a few steps. I am very hesitant and unstable. I think I need visual feedback for my motor system to work right. I think my internal cues are defective. But it may also be a balance problem, too.

Can you walk with your eyes closed? How important is vision to your gait?
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote