View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Millerprof,

A dry socket can be quite uncomfortable for several days. Did the dentist suggest that you return to his office for retreatment of the socket daily or at least every other day for several days? The dressing needs to be changed often by the dentist.

The neck and jaw pain is commonly associated with a dry socket from a lower tooth removed. The pain radiates along the bundle of nerves in the jawbone but it should subside quite a bit within a day or two.

If you smoke, stop. Smoking can cause a dry socket to occur and it can also prevent the area from healing.

It is important to follow the instructions of the dentist and see him frequently to change the medicated dressing.

Very sorry you are experiencing this pain......... hopefully you will feel much relief soon!

Bryanna
Thanks Bryanna,

I don't smoke, so at least I have that in my favor I guess! The pain in my jaw is interesting--I was completely numbed up and they had the gas on as high as it would go, and when the surgeon started I could feel an electrical jolt radiate through my jaw. They then had to knock me out to complete the procedure. With RSD, I think I'm prone to having nerve issues. I was actually upset that I even started to go through this awake. It's a long story, but they were so adament on the phone before the appointment that they would NOT do anesthesia on the same day as my consult--I would have to schedule yet another appointment to come back again. But they would take it out with laughing gas. They said my insurance wouldn't cover it unless it was a wisdom tooth. But I happen to have very good insurance, and they didn't even check--it covers the extraction completely and 90% of the anesthesia. So they're tyring to get the tooth out, and it's not working, so THEN they talk to me about the anesthesia (after I'm doped up on laughing gas and valium--not exactly clear headed). And they asked if I'd had anything to eat since they were going to do anesthesia, and I said I hadn't, but I actually had (since they had told me they wouldn't be doing anesthesia). So, I guess it's a lucky thing I didn't puke and choke during surgery. Combine that with the pain meds and I was definately vomiting later that night. Geez the whole thing was just an awful experience. The doctor was great but the support staff were not. But I'm rambling now--just needed to vent.

Oh, and I am going back tomorrow, Friday, and Monday for a dressing change.
Millerprof is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote