View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Di, I avoided Medicare Advantage plans because they limited who I could see, and I have some pretty specific medical needs and really don't care to get shuffled around between docs. Another reason was that I did not feel as free to make my own decisions and choices. And the managed care aspect did not interest me . . . too "HMO" for me. And on top of it all, Medicare Advantage plans have a much higher overhead costs than do traditonal Medicare. And in spite of this, as many as 20% of those who dis-enroll from a Medicare Advantage program do so because they can not get the care they need when they need it. "There is some evidence that disabled beneficiaries 'are more likely to experience multiple problems in managed care.'[15] Some studies have reported that the older, poorer, and sicker persons have been less satisfied with the care they have received in MA plans."

Check out the Medicare Part C section in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(United_States)

I could not afford to try to save money taking out a MA plan. I pay my Medicare premium ($96+) and my supplement ($150+) and my Part D ($50) every month, on top of medical costs not covered by Medicare ($400-500/mo) . . . so I know about the bite it takes out of a meager SS income. I am lucky in that I took out a supplemental long term disability policy when I was hired at my job . . . but it expires at 65, at which time my income will be cut in half. I spend as little time as possible thinking about life at that point, as there is nothing I can do about it!
"Thanks for this!" says:
DiMarie (05-06-2009)