View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineOnTheScene View Post
My husband has been struggling with depression for at least 5 years. It took 3 years to get a diagnosis (bi-polar, mostly depressive.) No psychiatric drugs have helped--he is totally incapacitated. He can't work, can't do much of anything. His disease is resistant to everything. After going through all psychiatric drugs, we were referrred to a university hospital for ECT treatments (elctro-convulsive therapy.) He has now gone through 11 treatments and there is a little progress. I don't know where else to turn...what's after ECT if it doesn't work?
It is hard to believe that such things still happen, but a therapist I know had a patient who had severe depression for years, tried many medications and had severeal bouts of ECT which also did not stop it. They then found that he had a thyroid hormone problem. I do not know how this could possibly be missed with today's advanced medical care but it was.

Episodes people write about last a decade or more, and I have read so many stories from people saying that something simple changed the scene to help make them better. Things like addressing sleep issues, changing diet, taking supplements or increasing some hormone or other. That may be on top of cognitive behavior therapies, and medication.
Jaspar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (05-07-2009)