View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 02:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I know exactly what you're talking about. I did learn something years ago that has helped me tremendously. Whenever I work out, and I've been doing this for many, many years, I close my eyes whenever possible. The theory is that it helps "train" your brain and balance system and I swear it works. I first learned this when doing dry-land training for ice hockey.

For example, when I'm doing the "kicking and punching" section of my aerobic workout, I always close my eyes and work on maintaining my balance. You can also do this when practicing yoga or tai chi for example. It's a little strange at first, and I imagine more difficult for those suffering balance problems now as part of their disease, but it's worth trying. Just don't expect miracles overnight and use common sense when practicing.

With balance becoming such a huge part of our disease as we progress, I believe it's extremely important to work on this component. If you can get into physical therapy to start, that would be good. Good luck!

Todd
PDTalks.com

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote