View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth Hi Christy!

Oh, hon, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I am on 30 mgs a day of Paxil and it seems to be helping - you may want to ask about that.........

Are you on any meds to help with weakness? Pred? I know there is a lot of people out there who are very much against steroids, but for ME they were a life saver.........

This disease stinks, plain and simple. There are days when I scream and cry and throw things or eat an entire tub of frosting while crying, but they pass.....it will get better!

Do you have a local support group? You are NOT alone.....though you may feel like it. THere are plenty of us who KNOW what you are going through - sadly.......sigh......

Have you ever heard of IV IV? Plasma exchange? I know for me they were a huge help in getting some of my strength back......

Hang in there!
Big hugs!
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post
MG BIO
June 2008 I began to experience sporadic light episodes of - double vision - slurring of words - trouble swallowing - breathing incorrectly - walking strangely - fumbling.

Went to ER (some family pressure) because I looked as if I had a stroke, although I was confident I had not because I looked well after a short rest. ER sent me home with instructions to see GP.

GP wrote scrip for potassium and suggested I see a neurologist. Three week wait for neurology appointment. Symptoms intensify radically. My computer and I diagnose myself with generalized MG while waiting the coveted appointment.

Textbook work-up including all possible tests took another two weeks. Finally, I received a definite Dx of non-thynomic generalized myasthenia and Rx for Mestinon (180 mg timespan ½ twice a day as needed). In October, I telephone Dr. office, request, and receive Rx for additional Mestinon (60 mg generic tablet ½ to 1 tablet per day as needed).

Most of the emotional issues of this disease have been on hold. Other huge family medical issues make my MG materialize small on quality of life scale. I am now justifiably depressed. (Because of this board, and your kind words to one another, I know I am not crazy just slightly depressed). I will be calling neurologist today for yearly appointment. Hoping there is an antidepressants ( Lexapro, Effexor, Cymbalta, Zoloft) drug that works well with Mestinon.

Those are the FACTS….
Theses are the FEELINGS ….
I have no energy to push through a task - if I do - I pay for 3 days. Food has become an enemy, walking more than a mile seems dim-witted, all responsibilities are much to time sensitive, vacuum cleaners weigh 200 lbs, heat is equivalent to immobilization, I now ignore things that were paramount a year ago. I continually feel alien within my own life, both physically and emotionally. Spiritually doing okay but feeling somewhat reminiscent of Jonah.

Wow, that was therapeutic to write nearly years worth of life changing events into a few paragraphs.

Thanks for reading …Blessings to all.
Christy,