Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Sounds great to me! I love sushi!

I've also used hijiki (seaweed) in salads.

This is the traditional salad where it is the main ingredient:
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...0/164123.shtml

But I have found you can use just some, added to other things.
It might really be nice with your sprouts, Mel. It is long a thin like the sprouts, so it would mix in well. Only difference is that it is a dark color, and not green.

You buy it freeze dried in packets.

BTW, the place where I get my sushi, already prepared, at Kroger's (a little stall there), use brown rice now instead of white. Brown has a better glycemic index. I guess you can buy short grain brown now.
(short grain makes it more "sticky" so it will hold together more.)
The California rolls I get have the nori inside holding the ingredients together, with the rice only on the outside. They also have some sesame mixed in the rice.

I only buy cooked sushi, since I have a type of food allergy that occurred with an IVP test (organic iodine)...I can eat cooked seafood/fish, but not raw.
Raw makes me sick.

Hi Mrs. D.

I've never eaten raw sushi in my life. Only the California Rols, veggie rolls, Philadelphia rolls, etc.

Tonight, I'm COOKING my salmon filets, adding my sprouts, and wrapping in the Nori. Just to get the benefits of the Seaweed.

I just made Alan a Nori Roll, with a tablespoon of the brown rice, my sprouts, some shredded veggies, some sesame and a dash of low sodium teriyaki. rolled it all up.

After demolishing the first one he said "Can't I have another?"

I then made him one more, went out around the corner and picked up two more nori packages.

There was also a bigger package of nori but it looked different. It was $4.59 and it said on the package "3 packs 100 pieces" but you couldn't tell if they were regular sized nori or smaller sized small pieces of nori.

From the looks of it, they looked like little bite size pieces of nori. I asked the guy but no one spoke english, so I ended up bying the two packs of regular nori.

I believe I will buying these FOR A LONG TIME.

The nori hand rolls take one second to make, don't break up, I can add my brown rice and whatever I wish. What a great time saver and healthy little treat.

Never thought this man would love seaweed.

lol

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (05-08-2009)