View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbfoot View Post
Hi
I am a 55 yr old male who has been diagnosed with Idiopathic Peripheral Neuropathy. It started in my right forearm, and then progressed to my right shin, top of right foot and big toe. Once it started to effect the left hand side of my left foot I sought medical advice, but by the time I got to the neurologist I had it in my fingertips also. I was told that as it is Idiopathic, (having no known cause) there is no known cure, therefore no medication was prescribed. That was 12 months ago, since then the Neuropathy has taken over almost all of my right foot and progressed up to my right knee, fortunately no other areas have changed. While I am aware the effects of this condition vary between individuals, I am egger to hear from anyone who may be able to enlighten me on possible further progressions.
Whoa!
Man can I empathise with you. I am a 52 year old male who started having problems about 3 years ago. Problems started in my right hand - numbness and burning and pain got so bad that after 2 hours of mousing (right handed machine designer) that I felt like throwing up and then started gabapentin - 900mg/day. Diagnosed as occluded ulnar nerve and had double surgery on my wrist (2" cut) and inside forearm (6" cut thru muscle) to cure the problem. Worked for about 6 mo. and then all problems came back progressed up past my elbow. After about 12 mo. it appeared in my right foot and started with the big toe going numb and then the whole foot followed (with shooting pain from the toe back to the heel). Next the left hand on top up to the wrist and left big toe and top of foot up past the ankle (all within about 6 mo. time).
I am now taking 1200mg gabapentin 3 times a day to control pain but if I miss a dosage pain in feet and right hand reminds me - aldo have burn thru even with this dosage. I was diagnosed last week with Small Fiber Polyneuropathy at the Cleveland clinic. I also have hypertension (160/100)
that is partially under control (was 240/110). A little anti anxiety medicine helps as well. Good luck and keep a posoitive attitude and I have found that sharing with others helps quite a bit - I used to keep it all inside but that is not the way to go.
kevin57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote