View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

The simple answer is that heat makes MG worse.

The more complicated answer: Heat increases an enzyme in the body (acetylcholinesterase) that "eats up" acetylcholine. Mestinon is a cholinesterase inhibitor. In other words, Mestinon keeps that enzyme from eating up the acetylcholine so you can use whatever you have of it longer.

Cold does the same thing. So extremes of heat and cold are very bad for people with MG!

I hope you don't have any arterial disease of your lower legs.

I love baths too. Hot baths are bad for circulatory probelms as well. Maybe a "warm" bath might do! As long as you cool yourself off afterwards. And maybe the timing of the bath is important too. At the end of a long day may be the most welcome time for one but may be the worst time for one.

I hope that helps explain it. Hope the test results are good.

Annie

I had to add . . . what was your "normal" B12 level? For example, if someone has symptoms of a B12 deficiency, like neuropathy, and their level is 400 or less and the range is like 200 - 800, then I would get some sublingual B12 and take it anyway! Homocysteine and methylmalonic acid (blood tests) are two markers that can be above normal if you are not absorbing B12, even if your levels are in the normal range. This may not be the case for you but I had to mention it. A B12 deficiency doesn't start below normal. It starts above and then slowly goes below.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote