View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default A ? about VCR/DVD combo

Hi All

Remember me? The person who still uses VCR's.

Well, I need yet another one.

We use 3 in this house. My two original silver panasonic omnivision work horses STILL ARE GOING GOOD. The third one has this line going through it. I hooked up another one I had laying around my house. The play heads are fine. The recording heads are horrible.

So I took myself to my local video store and they have the Sony dvd/vcr combo. It's affordable. I'll probably get it eventually.

But I have questions first.

In my living room I have a vcr and my directv. This is hooked up using RCA cables. The red, white and yellow things.

At the video store I made sure to look and see how the vcr/dvd combo would be connected and sure enough it said something about line out something or other. It had the image on the box and sure enough I recognized the red white and yellow things.

I said to myself "this setup process looks like what I have going on in my living room." Sure enough when I got home, I looked at the back and there was the red yellow and white thing.

So I went into my electronic drawer in my house and I pulled out a set of RCA cables. Each side has three things. RED YELLOW AND WHITE.

I went back to look in the back of the vcr in my living room and noticed the RCA cables are a bit different.

One end of the RCA thing has 3 things going into the back of my directv box. One yellow, one red, one white.

The OTHER end has 6 things going into the back of the vcr.

So the other end has 2 REDs, 2 YELLOWS and 2 WHITES (going in the back of the VCR).

I am completely confused. All the RCA cables in my house have 3 at each end. Why does the living room RCA thing have 3 at one end and 6 at the other end.

Are there various kinds of RCA cables?

I know you all have the dvr things but we can't do that right now, so I'm still a vcr person. I went to youtube and tried to find a video on hooking up a vcr/dvd combo but all they do is show the unit, not how to hook it up.

I can do this, but I just want to understand the difference in the RCA cables.

Thanks much

Melody.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote