View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Seratonin, Hypertension & RSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCourcier View Post
I have had CRPS in both legs since 2004 though it wasn't diagnosed until 2008.

In addition to certain symptoms I know are associated with this disorder (sweating, muscle cramps, pain, etc...) tests have revealed a number of other abnormalities that none of my doctors has attributed to CRPS to date, but based on comments on this site I am beginning to wonder. Anyway here they are:

- Triglycerides (initially ~3,000/ with max meds ~500, cholesterol OK, but NO good cholesterol)
- fatty liver
- Hypertension (160/120 untreated)
- Basically zero Serotonin despite already being on max Cymbalta for over a year
- testosterone 10% of normal for 40 y.o. male
My neurologist educated me that RSD depletes the body of all Seratonin. It is one of the many challenges we face, with no real solution other than to ensure you are taking a nightly sleeping medication to replace its key role in sleep, made all the more difficult by the pain of our disease.

With respect to hypertension, it is a common side effect of Lyrica. I did not see Lyrica mentioned in your note, but if you are taking it for pain, you may need to coordinate care for the hypertension it can cause and determine whether the side effect of hypertension merits continuing it as a pain med.

Hope this information is helpful.
Skooz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote