View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 09:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help My plasma exchange story - not for the squeamish...

Mine was very similar, except I wasn't given the option of ANY pain meds, only adavan (like valium, but the dr said it would take too long) or benadryl - I chose the benadryl.

I was sobbing like a baby the whole time, but nurses were truly AMAZING! They held my hand and prayed with me the whole time.

Unfortunately for me, they knicked a nerve when they placed the line, plus since this was my 2nd time for the exchange and my platelet count is waaaaaay high, the stupid dr had to really "dig" in order to get through the scar tissue.I stated cussing him out and told him he was hurting me! I was ticked off! The dr told me to count to 30, so I did, really fast,,,,,,too fast.....the dr said "Give me a break", so I started over - after 15, the line was placed.

Once the line was placed I was taken to recovery where I rested. Then I was taken to my room. I was given the exchange for 7 days, followed by 5 days of IV IG - I was exhausted!

At that time, money wasn't tight like it is now, so we opted for the suite - that way Mike could stay with me - we loved being alone together! We played cards and watched movies all night long! Sounds goofy, but it was romantic!

As for the plasma, mine was warm. The hosp has some type of warming machine so it isn't too cold going back in.

Don't get me wrong, if my neuro told me I needed it again, I would go in. No questions asked, but I did not like it - not one bit.

I am terrified of needles so that was my overwhelming fear. If you are not, then it won't be so bad. Plus, when you need it, you need it. It DOES help!

Just don't look in the mirror with that thing in your neck - it's UGLY! LOL! My sis called me "Frankie" for frankenstein and my FIL had a hard time looking @ it, but it does the job.

I have 2 little scars on my neck, but have overcome my fear of needles - life is just too precious to let fear stop you.......

Erin