View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi, bf

thanks for the quickie tips. never know when we'll need that.

I have two sisters who are RNs. One works for the county health department. She can give you a long list of things to get prepared for if the swine flu comes to your neighborhood. Myself, I distilled my own water last fall, by using my home canner, and have the regular flu aids in my medicine cabinet.

The other sister worked in a hospital for many, many years. She said the regular flu kills 38,000 every year, so you're right about all the hyped up alerts, although swine flu is a challenge for providers.

If you're young and healthy, they both say it's worse on you because your body is too strong and will fight harder and produces more antibodies than your body can handle. So I guess it's better to take percautions these days, with everything. Life has certainly taken new direction.

Keep safe, my friends

(Broken Wings)

(Broken Friend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenfriend View Post
If there where a true epidemic,those face,and dust masks wouldn't work,because the contagion would enter through the eyes,and where the masks aren't covering the skin. It would stop peoples coughs,and sneezes from going out into the air.

Military grade respirators with thick filters,and having the mask covering the eye's would be a much better protection. There would need to be that seal around the skin,around the face,where the edges of the respirator touches.

I did research into this around 2001. You remember everyone was scared of white powder,and Anthrax coming in a few letters. This caused a panic,on top of the twin tower disaster. We where all scared.

I still have a respirator,but not the eye protection. I could cut a glad bag,and tape it to my face,over my eyes I suppose. That might work in a sudden disaster,if I where MacGyver. BF

"Thanks for this!" says:
Brokenfriend (05-09-2009)