View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi

You sound like a fighter too. I think I do it because I'm just too stubborn to let disability win, although I realize I'm walking a tight rope, with no net. "Live to fight another day" and "fight like hell" and "life keeps coming at you" keep me going.

I would like to caution you about preventing falls and injuries. When you're new to conditions that alter your gait, it tends to cause unforseen mobile issues. Things always seem to happen to that bad side. What you've done effortlessly may take a little forethought to prevent an injury. Just know that you're vulnerable to injuries when you're not yourself. Clark shoes gave me stability and comfort, especially the mule type. Give yourself some extra time to think about the task/challenge before you just take off like you used to. avoid uneven terrain for now.

I do believe in Yoga. Do it for the rest of your body. I had to have chairs, blocks and pillows around when I first stated. Just do what you can. It will help. We don't have anyone here to instruct us right now and it's not as fun by yourself. About to get hubby into yoga. He likes watching right now

and about when, in time, did you read the post. I don't remember it, but I don't have the best memory.

Hope things go smoothly for you at work.

(Broken Wings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron View Post
Hello all

I have been reading around the threads and have been struck by two things. Firstly the bravery and dignity of the members here facing very painful and often progresive neuro problems but also there appears to be a common complaint about the insensitivity of the medical profession when treating or dealing with people with these problems./

Having read a lot of the posts I dont feel my problem is so bad really. I was admitted to hospital after experiencing loss of power in my right leg and excrutiating pain. It took a long time to get the pain under control and I had MriS of spine/head/ct abdo and numerous blood tests. So far nothing. Seen by a very abrupt neuro doctor who, after examination has diagnosed femeral nerve neuropathy. I have a further mri booked to look at the hip phlexus to see if there is any obvious causative lesion.

I am taking gapapentin 1200mg with tramadol 100mg 4 times daily. I take paracetamol and dyhydrocodien for breakthrough pain.

I already have some power restored in my leg and walk with a stick though already I can walk unaided but obviously limp.

I am determined to not let this get on top of me and will be going back to work on Monday - just office stuff to see how I get on.

I am afraid of the pain attacks that I was requiring morphine for but so far it has been managable.

I just wondered if there was anyone else out there who has had this form of neuropathy and how it went.

I did read one very inspiring post and forgot who wrote it. From someone who has been on this board for four years and could not initially walk. This person now walks and does yoga - I wish I could remember your name because your post brightened me up so much.

Hello and good luck to all.

Byron
x

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote