View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi there. Although I don't have a TBI, my husband did last year. His recovery has been amazing, and I believe part of it may be a supplement I got for him. It's Acetly L-Carnitine with Alpha Lipoic Acid. I have taken it for my brain fog and it clears it up so well.

Pete, you mentioned the Alzheimer meds and that's what made me think of this. There have been several studies on Alzheimers with this supplement and it's been promising. It is one of the amino acids, I believe and the "acetyl" form helps it cross the blood brain barrier. It actually helps the nerves to regenerate. It also helped me with some neuropathy I was having, due to my conditions. It isn't contraindicated in any illness or with any other meds that I have been able to find.

It may be worth a try! Let me know if you'd like any more information on this, and I'll try to find some links for you.

Also, I have found out that TBI itself (and probably all the meds prescribed for it) cause some vitamin and nutrient deficiencies. You all may want to check the Vitamin and nutrition forums. I believe there is a link there where you can check to see deficiencies caused by certain drugs.

Hope some of this helps someone - at least a little!

Hugs!

Becky