View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 03:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused PLEASE HELP: not enough quarters to qualify for disability

I stopped working about five years ago. I was having a terrible time keeping jobs. So my husband took over our financial needs and still is however he is 72 and obviously this can't continue.

I am 58 and thought I was just exhausted. stressed out (who isn't). So I let hubby bring home the bacon and would occasionally look for work but I always knew I either couldn't do it -- or I was too old (don't believe what they tell you about age discrimination).

So I've muddled along and we've doing ok but my health took a drastic dip last summer/fall. LOOOOOONG story: short version. I was finally diagnosed with pernicious anemia about one month ago. Since we know that it takes at least five years to deplete your stored b12 (my level was initially tested at 68), it now becomes clear that my problem was physical. I NEVER NEVER dreamed I had any kind of serious health problem that could causing all my problems with jobs. I went to several mds over the years with various 'hints' of trouble but was always brushed off as depressed or whatever.

SO, my question is:
If I am several quarters short of the required number due to my lack of work the last 5 years, and SS is saying I am therefore not entitled to disability 'period', is there any any any chance that I go any further? If so, where? Does it make any difference that it took me five years to find out what was wrong???

God bless you if any of this made sense to you because I have extensive nerve damage legs, feet, hands and my mind is a mess. I even have severe brain atrophy. From what I've read it is unlikely the nerve damage will get better; the brain certainly won't. I worked for over twenty-five years ... just doesn't seem fair.... Forgive my melodramatics.. but I just found this out today and am very upset. Frightened is the better word. Can't type any more ; finngers numb...
pearl girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote