View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey there, I too can't tolerate any compression around my feet and ankles - this being So. Cal. I go elmost everywhere in sandals - but have managed to keep the swelling (in both feet) maybe 70% under control with the use of a class of prescription medications called diuretics, which expell excess fluid from the body. However, they are not for everyone, as they can cause something call orthostatic hypotension - extreme lightheadedness while getting up from a seated position - particluarly for people on narcotics, as they will lower your blood pressure. I take up to 80 mg. of Oxycontin a day and luckily it hasn't been an issue for me.

Secondly, the diuretic (I take 20 mg. of Lasix, 2/day) must be taken with a prescription potassium supplement and you have to have periodic blood tests (every 4 weeks is suggested) to make sure there's no impairment of kidney functions. Interestingly, I was presented with this concept/prescription neither from my neurologist nor my pain mngt. doctor, but my internist, with the other two later concurring in the decision.

Finally, when you are on a diuretic, they will make you thirsty. It's important not to drink too much so they will do their job. (Hense the need to periodically monitor kidney functions.)

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Mike

Last edited by fmichael; 05-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (05-19-2009)