Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caya View Post
Chasmo:

Please forgive me if I appear a little stupid around the edged but what does it mean where you say "be careful of treadmills, as they tend to spit off us parkies"? What does spitting have to do with a treadmill? Again, I apologize but I think I just do not fully understand the language like I should.I use a treadmill almost daily and your warning concerns me greatly. I just do not know what exactly it is I am concerned about. Can you explain this to me. Thank you for your patience and understnding.

caya
Hi Caya,

My husband and I own a gym. He has clients who have PD, as does my father.

Since a treadmill has a belt that keeps you walking, if you shuffle or have any problem picking your feet up with every step, the belt can catch the bottom of your foot...and spit..throw you off the back.

If you are using a treadmill at a gym, let the staff know you have PD, so they can keep an eye out for any potential accidents.

Using an eliptical, stepper or bike are great alternatives. Not that people with PD can't or shouldn't use a treadmill, just use caution.

Really...everyone should. We had a member the other day who decided to take his sweatshirt off right in the middle of jogging on the treadmill. Yep..he got spit off. Didn't get hurt thank goodness.

Chris, how old is your dad? Stabilty exercises and building a good core really help. Doing exercises that are more in an occupational manner too.

One of my husbands clients hadn't been able to climb stair in years. Doing step up exercises fixed that. Christmas before last during a party, his wife found him upstairs showing guests the house. He had never been upstairs in that house.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote