Old 05-10-2009, 08:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Let's pray you recover Godspeed

Bless your heart.

Keep us posted when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by receveur View Post
I have severe bilateral neurogenic and vasogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome as a result of a car accident in 2004. In 2005, I had a rib resection and scalenectomy on the left side. Six months later the blood flow was cut off again on the left side. The surgery didn't work the first time for me. I have been progressively getting worse through the years. Last week's vascular study showed that I flatlined the vascular test on both arms. The pain is very severe in the left arm even at rest. The right arm only has pain when I move it from the rest position. I cannot reach for things. My left is weaker then the right even though both show an equal flatlined study.

I am going in again tomorrow, May 11th, (4 years after first surgery) to have a TOS revision surgery on the left side. Dr. Karas is going in again to try to free up the scar tissue and allow the blood to flow. If this second surgery works, then I will go in and have the rib resection/scalenectomy done on the right side in the future.

The first surgery took me a very long time to recover from but it's because I'm battling possible MS that recovery time took longer. I am going in for evaluation of MS in June.

The good news is....my daughter was injured as well in the same accident in 2004. We waited (perhaps too long) until we were ultra sure she wanted to go through surgery. My daughter went through the rib resection/scalenectomy of the right side in December of 2008 then went back in March 2009 to have the left side done. She had both neurogenic/vasogenic TOS. Both of her surgeries were a success and she was up, back to work, and off pain pills in a week's time. She has had no signs of pain or issues coming back since surgery. She is 18. So maybe age and lack of other medical issues has to do with quick recovery and success.

Dr. Karas is our doctor and is VERY VERY good. If anyone needs a surgeon on the east coast who has done many surgeries and has had high success rate, try Dr. Karas. He's caring, compassionate and takes his time to make sure that you understand what's going on with you.

It all depends on your health going into surgery as to your recovery time. Some people recover in a week or two and go back to work, and others take several months. No one person is the same.

I wish you luck as you decide what you need to do. Like I said, I'm going in tomorrow for the 2nd surgery on the same side but my scar tissue is like fiberglass and very aggressive. I may have to go back in again or may not. I just know that I've got no quality of life right now so if I can get some relief for a little while, then I'm gonna do it.

Stay away from Botox. It's poison and many doctors including mine are against it. I went for a 2nd opinion a few years ago and they wanted to shoot me full of botox. They said it was still in a trial basis and that they could only shoot me with botox 4 times and then damage would start to occur. This was over at Johns Hopkins. I would strongly hesitate and research before dealing with botox. It is highly controversial at this stage.

Good luck!

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote