Thread: Dealing with MG
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Connie, and welcome to the forum!

Not being able to open your mouth is somewhat different - as you have read it's usually a problem of not being able to close it.

As far as finding a new neuro in your area, where do you live? There is a site where you can do a search for free. You can check by location and specialtly, then get ratings on where the doc was educated, the hospital they work from, etc. Go to vitals.com to check on this.

I found my newest neuro by just doing a google search for neurology + Denver CO, then kind of visited websites to see if they specialize in neuromuscular. I got lucky and found one that lists MG as one of her specialties. That's unusual to find though.

You do have to investigate what sub specialty a neuro has. Some really keep up with vascular neurology (migraines and such), some with head injury, etc. You'll want one who's main interest lie in the neuromuscular areas. If they don't list this, ask about it in a phone call. Whether this is MG or not, it certainly sounds neuromuscluar.

Good luck with the testing, and ask your current neuro for copies of all the reports! This is essential always in "neuro world" but especially if you are thinking of changing docs. I still have records from way back that keep coming in to play ( I have a secondary, as yet undiagnosed, condition).

Also, ask your doc to discuss the tests - what they were ruling out or looking for and why. He should be willing to do this - if not, ask him why he doesn't feel you have the right to know??

Best of luck to you, and please keep posting. I always get nervous when we don't hear from someone that posted once to tell us they're having problems then never post again. Even if they start heading another direction on you, that information can be of importance to the rest of us here.

Once we've heard from you, you're part of the "family" so keep in touch, ok?

Big Hugs to you!