Thread: Topamax
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 03:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
I've been taking topamax for about 2 years due to severe and frequent migraines. It has helped quite a bit, hasn't stopped them, but they are limited to three a month, and generally not as severe.

Problem? They just released generic topamax (topamirlate). Not only does the generic NOT work, it was giving me migraines. For the five days I took the generic I had a migraine every day. I stopped taking it, and my headaches are back to where they were before I even started topamax.

Anyone else taking topamax notice an increase in headaches when you got switched to the generic when you refilled your rx?
Antiseizure medications are notorious for causing problems when switching to generics. We must consider a medication change exactly that - a CHANGE. Like switching entirely.

Our family must pay a lot of money out-of-pocket because of medications coming out in generic form. Then the insurance insists that generic be bought and they won't pay for name-brand. Yet some of the generics do not work for the patient. So we must make up the difference in co-pays.

This has bitten us in the butt numerous times because sometimes the switch goes well, and sometimes the switch is disastrous. It can result in death depending on the problem that arises. It is a shame to be forced to a change when something has worked for years.

It is not just the antiseizure medications.

Jaspar
Jaspar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote