View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennelle View Post
So, not all of you know my story although I feel close to many of you. I hurt myself sliding a 10yr old 250lb girl up in bed while I was working as a pediatric nurse. Initially we thought it was all pulled/torn muscles in my neck and shoulder....then the tingling in my left hand...the numbness...the color change. A lot of test and dx with rsd early in the process. Not long after finding this site it spread to my right arm. Now I have had another bonescan,mri, and emg. My left shoulder joint is very loose, I have a herniated disc in my back and the worse of all...after a week of hell was once again diagnosed with a spread.....ALL LIMBS. I think the sinking of hope is worse sometimes then the pain...or maybe the pain is the same. Any of you ever had so fast a spread? I used to be a runner....now my left leg is always swollen and both my feet turn purple. I had to fight with my pain doctor for recovery meds....good news he'll do another block...just one and I get to pick the limb. Since the last one only lasted 3 hrs I am not even looking forward to it. How do we all do it....how do we live our lives and not loose hope after it slowly takes over our lives....In less than a year I have gone from an active fun-loving 29year old nurse, step mother of 3, and sister/daughter to a 30 yr old woman in an 80 yr old body. I want to thank you all for being there for me so many times and with all my questions. I think this site has kept me sane. I have made some good friends who I know I will continue to keep close in my life as much as possible. I am just having a pity party right now....I was hoping to have a child of my own soon...now I don't see how that could be possible. I have spent years taking care of other people's children (both at work and at home) and I think this is what hurts the most. So for any Mom's out there....can you give me hope? I have put my life on hold for so long already...my wedding, having children....working. I am scared Jennelle

Jennelle,
after re-reading you post, it occurs to me that you may have undiagnosed TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome).
There is a thread here for it, you should check that out.
How and where you injury is involved, might indicate that.
It can make your arms and hands very weak, and cause headaches too.
You need a good neuro, or hand/arm surgeon to diagnose that.

A standard test for it is like this:
Raise your hands to a "Hands Up" position. (You're under arrest)

Then, move your arms (elbows) back as far as you can.
It's a good idea to have another person, or do this in front of the mirror.
Your pulse, at your wrists should drop off completely, and if you have a mirror, you will see your hands turn white. (No blood flow), and, you'll also get numbness in your hands. With TOS, this WON'T be a comfortable position to hold!

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, or certainly not wishing this on you, but it can help to know if you do have it.
I hope you don't.

Pete
asb
AintSoBad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote